Sunday, June 2, 2013

7 Quick Takes: The Sacred and the Profane

1.  I'd forgotten Friday was the Feast of the Visitation until our dear friend and very real spiritual father called me that morning, to share the day's Magnificat reflection; he told me he'd thought, "Who could need to hear this at this moment more than you?"  Heather King's reflection was about the difficulty and humility that is called for in receiving. The very fact of my receiving his phone call bore out what she said as true: to stop and sit, to quiet myself enough to listen and hear the wisdom this friend sought to impart, required a great deal of effort; I had to disengage from action long enough to just be.  That stilling of self can be excruciating.

2.  Here again is proof of how sometimes God just intervenes in my life; I'd resolved to live Friday as a quieter, more interior time to finally pray at leisure and to write. Yet at that point my morning routine was already distracting me away from my resolution.  As a result, I'd almost missed time pondering my favorite women, and the best conversations the world was ever privy to:

"And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed are you who believed
that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled" (Luke 1:43-45).

3. One reason I'd neglected my writing this month was because I couldn't sit still.  I have been driven by anxiety and family drama, including: my mother-in-law's frightening health crisis (gall bladder & poor reaction to post-op morphine)  that took my husband (her only child) 2 weeks of solid effort to help her through; my own freaky-odd-hormonal roller-coaster ride through this pregnancy, now entering its 39th week; my husband's most stressful time of year at work (i.e., concert season); my kids' several activities at fevered end-of-year-pitch; and for the record, with all of our doctor/teherapy/activity engagements, this is what May looked like on my calendar:

Is it just me... or was this slightly insane?!

Then, when you flip to June, the first week looks kind of the same, the punchline being June 9th:  "Dance Rehearsal 9am, Dance Recital 6pm & George's DUE DATE."  Oh, that kills  me.

4. On Friday, Gianna perched on my knee as we scrolled through my photos on FB. Seeing this one, she stopped me and said, "When was this?!" I answered, "Last summer." 
Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten what its like to see my toes!

She then asked, "Hey, where's George?" To which I said, "He wasn't made yet; he wasn't in my belly then." At that point she turned, looked down and addressed the audience in my belly by excitedly saying, "Hey George, did you hear that? Did you know there was a time when you weren't here?" 

This struck me as the perfect and unabashed illustration of Faith: "the Confident assurance concerning what we hope for and conviction of the things we do not see"  (Hebrews 11:1). Gianna has not seen her brother, but she already knows and has a relationship with him!

5.  After our night time prayers last evening, Gianna engaged George again, this time as follows:  "Hey George? Could you please not be born tomorrow? You see, my friend's birthday party is tomorrow, and if you are born then, I don't know what I'm gonna do. So you can be born the day *after* tomorrow, OK?"

6.  Let me say that Cari at Clan Donaldson had what I at first thought was an inspired idea: selfies for Theme Thursday.  She even the led the charge by not putting on make-up for her own.  What the heck,  I figured, full steam ahead!  I took five different shots, and uploaded them.  Looking at them, I almost cried.  I still expect to see 23-year-old-me in photographs.  Reality check: I am 39 and I have wrinkles. I also have broken capillaries under one eye and on another eyelid, from delivering each of my girls.  Ugh.  But... Whatever. Here I am, barely caffeinated on a Thursday at 8am, sans make-up and owning it:
Seeing these pics really did not fill me with the sort of empowerment those Dove ads promised.


7.  Thus, yesterday and today I had to live in opposition to the pregnant-momma-in-comfy-pants-sans-make-up mode. I'll write up something about this and post it to the Fine Linen and Purple link-up... but for now, here is the picture to balance out #6, and salvage my feelings of femininity:


My husband shared this picture to his own Facebook page and captioned it, "My beautiful wife," at which point my pain from #6 was wiped completely away, and I felt immediately and terribly bad for all the hormonal mean-wife comments I've barked out at him in the last seven days.

He is such a sweetheart.

That's it for today, folks.  I'm late to the game, but I played!  Check in with Jen if you haven't already.


7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!

3 comments:

  1. Since the newly conceived, few weeks old, infant Christ can send the Spirit to communicate with the six month old John inside Elizabeth, and through John's leap of joy also inspire and illuminate his mom to recognize the miracle of Christ's enfleshment in Mary, why should it be surprising for Gianna to talk to her nine month old brother inside of you?
    Her request is naturally the logical supernatural faith response to his presence. She live in relation to him as much as she lives in relation to you and Emre, and as much as all of you (us) live in relation to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. It is awesome to see it played out so concretely!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee,
    I just wanted to check in and see if George has joined his family yet. I sure hope so since it is almost two weeks past his due date :)
    Anyway, I'm sure you are busy as ever, Take care.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete