Friday, May 10, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Reflections on Floors, "Car Guys", and Leonard Nimoy


--- 1 ---
One of the selling points to this house we bought when I was young (read: naive) was that it had hardwood floors throughout, which the elderly owners had covered up with wall-to-wall carpet. 

I remember my life pre-K (pre-Kid), when I would be on hands & knees with hardwood floor cleaner, particularly before Christmas Eve dinner or another family function, working to get the wood to shine. Heck, I think I managed that tradition into the toddlerhood of Anna.

It has been a long time since Anna was a toddler.

I just spent an hour-plus mopping the diningroom and part of the livingroom.

To the untrained eye, it now looks like I never even touched it.

Three kids who school at home without a paid janitor really do a number on the floor. Nothing short of an Act of God is gonna get these floors clean!  

While I would never trade my four kids for *anything* I would gladly wave a magic wand and get rid of hardwood floors if I could.

Well played, former owners. Well played.

--- 2 ---
My Son't First Holy Communion is tomorrow.  He, and all of us, are super excited.  The fact of the reception being at my house, paired with my biological urge to nest, compelled me to get on my hands & knees with a butter knife to scrape- yes, scrape- unrecognizable bits of melted-in-foods from the aforementioned diningroom floor.  Please note: week-old Go-gurt is every bit as adhesive as crazy glue.  So too are once-dipped-in-milk-now-dried-and-petrified graham cracker bits.  3M's product development team should get on this, fast.
--- 3 ---
My husband is a trekkie and a "car guy;" he hipped me to this link, and it made my week (not that we can afford an Audi mind you; our cars are over ten years old.  He often works on them himself.  He can do his own brakes, shocks, plugs, etc., and in his self-taught learning process developed a fascination with automobiles of all kinds, hence his title, "car-guy").  I laugh every time I watch it, because I am a big. old. dork.   


--- 4 ---
For those of you who are not dorks, the brilliance of the commercial is how Nimoy references himself while singing in the car.  Didn't get it?  Here, this will help:
Tolkien fans, no need to thank me.  I blog to serve.
--- 5 ---
And now for something completely different:
I had Anna take photos, but I still missed the link-up At Fine Linen & Purple last week end.  Here is me on Sunday, at the start of 35 weeks.  I keep losing track of where George and I are at gestation-wise, so I'd thought this was the start of week 36...  The  OB set me straight the next day.  I was actually relieved, because I was nervous that I'd go early and miss J.P.'s Communion.  (And yeah, OK, that still could happen, so prayers please, people!)
--- 6 ---
My nerves have settled down considerably since packing my hospital bag, by the way.  There is a lot to be said for the urge to nest.
--- 7 ---
On a serious note, I would like to ask prayers for a dear family.  Our friends' daughter, Briana, recently died after a three-year battle with leukemia, three days after getting married and two weeks shy of her 24th birthday.  She was beautiful, brave, and vivacious.

Years ago, this young woman unwittingly encouraged my husband to begin his own "Car Guy" journey, when her dad had proudly disclosed how his then-college-going daughter changed her own brakes.

Once it was clear that all of her treatment options were now exhausted, and that the disease had settled into her liver, her doctor asked  if she would like him to explain what was going to happen to her.  She smiled (as always) and said, "No, thank you.  I've already talked to Father Joe; he's told me what will happen to me."

Would that we all had such beauty and hope within us.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for beautiful post that touched head and heart, soul and spirit, and lifted the entire fragile, scattered me to an awareness of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder if we're just all fragile and scattered, but most people strive to hide this truism from even themselves? I am so glad you liked this post.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend. What a beautiful soul. I will pray for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your friend. That's sad, but in a good kind of way (almost).

    And thank you for the Leonard Nemoy advert :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much. Bri is a tremendous witness.

      And I am very glad you liked the Leonard Nimoy advert!

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your friend. I know that the last few days must have been so bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. Yes; it has been an odd-feeling mix of sadness and joy.

      Delete