Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Heart Longing for Mud

It has been too long since I've linked up anywhere, especially at Clan Donaldson's Theme Thursday.  I resolved to take photos to share for today, come what may!  With growing excitement, I looked for Cari's pre-Thursday tutorial and checked to see today's theme.

Really, Cari?

 Mud!?  

Question: How does one get excited about photographing mud, especially in New England, when Spring has not yet sprung?

Answer:  I've immersed myself in parenting self-improvement books this Lent.  As I insanely pulled on my boots, left the house, and crouched close to the barely-thawed ground, the following passage sprang to mind:

"Simply put, concupiscense is the 'longing for the mud' that remains after the waters of Baptism have washed us clean."- Dr. Gregory Popcak, Parenting with Grace

Forget my kids; this explains a lot about me.

Ah Cari, you wild woman, you.

All right then: let's get down to it.

Presenting: the mud-path which leads to our driveway.  Those white specks in the upper portion of the photo are real-deal snow flakes, captured thanks to the Rebel's pre-set Sports setting.  It has snowed all this morning.  At the point of my descent down the front porch stairs, the large and fluffy snowflakes morphed into miniscule, barely visible bits.  Go figure.

But the rebel caught them!
 How does one lend quasi-frozen, muddy terrain more visual interest?  This pregnant body was not about to lay itself on the ground (although I managed a good low squat for this pic, in the name of perspective) and I switched to that funky tulip setting to capture the imprint of my snowboots:
 Diamonds in the rough. 
 ...and with concupiscense on the brain, I went for a contrast between the mucky mud and the pure fallen snow that fell to cover it:
Its mud, not dung. ( I'm not down with that theology, anyway.)

With apologies to Martin Luther, the dung-snow metaphor doesn't stick: our sins are forgiven.  God's grace does work to perfect us (however slowly).  My hankering for the mud is not the same as continually rolling in it.

Still, the above photo begs for an analogy.  I'll grant it a haiku instead:

Grumpiness settles
on my heart like snow in Spring;
more coffee needed.


For more March Mud Madness, click over to Clan Donaldson's Theme Thursday!

12 comments:

  1. The imprint of the snowboots is so cool. Love the snow on the mud. Love your analogy even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachael! :-) I'm glad you liked all that.

      Delete
  2. I love your last picture with the snow on the mud. So very nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! This Thursday link-up is so much fun, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Love the snow-mud picture, and especially love the note correcting Luther! :) And ditto on the haiku... mmmm, coffee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Ashley. I'm so happy that my aside to Luther & my haiku made you smile! (And perhaps crave more coffee...)

      Delete
  4. I like the 'diamonds in the rough' photo. The title/caption is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Who knew mud could be so inspiring?!

      Delete
  5. I can't tell you how mad I was that we got hit with MORE! SNOW! this week. Ugh. I swear it was 80 degrees in my part of Connecticut this time last year. And yet this year we have snow, and we get what we get and we don't pitch a fit, as my preschool neighbor tells me.

    I also love the last shot, and the lesson on concupiscence? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cari. That's high praise! I really was all about "getting down" for some perspective today, thanks to your tutorial. Does hosting this link-up count as a Spiritual Work of Mercy... you know, instructing the ignorant and all? :-)

      And yeah, New England weather is crazy and nonsensical.

      Delete
  6. I just love those last 2 shots, and your thoughts on mud and the soul were beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Micaela. The last two shots were my hands-down faves, too. I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete