Friday, March 22, 2013

7 Quick Takes: What's in a Name? ( Our Boy, George)


1.  A few months ago John Paul was rallying to name this baby "Benedict" if a boy.  Although on our short list as a first or a middle name, we'd ultimately ix-nayed it.  As I'd told John Paul, "One pontiff in this house is enough.  I can't handle two of you."

With the election of Pope Francis, J.P. eagerly suggested we drop "George" in favor of "Francis," to which I (firmly) said: "No."

 "Awwwww... Why?"  I just looked at him.  "I know, I know," he sighed.  "We already have enough popes in this house."

It later occurred to me that "Jorge" is Spanish for "George."

I swear, I give Jesus a really good laugh.

2.  Rumor has it that the baby on Downton Abbey will be named "George."

3.  My husband and I are Trekkies; we just bought the 2009 Star Trek movie directed by J.J. Abrams.  We'd seen it last year, but had forgotten (and were stoked to rediscover) that the father of Capt. James Tiberius Kirk was, in fact, named George.

Spoiler alert (because my fellow Downton fans are only just recovering from Season Three): This is the uber-intense opening sequence.  It is a little long, and you'd better have tissues ready if you watch this right now; it is a sacrificial-beautiful, joyful-tragic scene.


If you have not yet seen this film, you totally should.  This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

4.  OK, so what is the story with the actual Saint George, who is always depicted as a knight slaying a dragon?  I assume this is a metaphoric-symbolic story.  Given the fact he is one of my son's patrons, I should research this further.  Even so, the legend appeals to my former Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying self (Ooops; was that out loud?)

5.  Speaking of St. George, this statue at the Yale Museum of British Art has always been a favorite work of art to visit on our family outings:

6.  The real reason we've named this baby George is because my dad (and brother) are both named George.  My dad died  in 2006, when J.P. was still a baby.  I've written about the type of man he was, and also how I'd not properly grieved that loss for several years.

I miss my father every day.  I am so grateful to have the opportunity to grant him a namesake.

My dad with John Paul in 2005.


7.  By George, that makes seven takes!

I think this has been the only truly "quick" takes I've ever written.  Check out Jen's blog for more 7QT.

No comments:

Post a Comment