Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Today's Comfort Food: Rice Pudding

My old-world looking rice pudding recipe is packed with sweetness.  Blandness be gone!

I'd never liked rice pudding as a child (or as a young woman) because I associated it with blandness and hospital visits.  (Right?  Isn't that always on the hospital menu?!)  My grandma made it quite often, and I never enjoyed it.  Once married however, I was surprised to learn that my husband really enjoyed rice pudding.

My decision to learn a good rice pudding recipe was born out of the need to re-purpose leftovers, and a prideful desire to wow my husband with his favorite dessert (and make it the best he'd ever tasted).  I combed the internet and cobbled together several of the yummiest sounding recipes.

I made a point to make rice pudding my way however; blandness and over-milkiness would not do.  I wanted my dish to be sweet, textured and hearty, not too" egg-y"or creamy, and to pop with taste. The result is that my version contains a bit more sugar and raisins than most other rice puddings out there.

Prep time: 10 minutes        Bake time: 45 minutes       Servings: 6-8
Ingredients:
1-3/4 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup raisins
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Grease a 1-qt casserole, then add in rice and raisins (mixing the raisins evenly through the rice).

In another bowl, whisk together: milk, eggs, sugars, cinnamon and vanilla extract.  Pour this over the rice/raisins.

Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool and serve, with or without whipped cream.  Refrigerate leftovers.  (If serving later, remember to cool before covering dish & putting into the refrigerator.)

We are excited for this dish!  My husband has planned his Weight Watchers points for the day so that he can merrily indulge in his favorite dessert tonight.  And since I have two casseroles, I can have some for breakfast this morning, too.

That is an auspicious start to any day.

1 comment:

  1. Rice pudding is my absolute favorite!!! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete